BRAISED SHIN OF BEEF
supplied by Martin Wishart – Restaurant Martin Wishart
2.5 kg boneless shin of beef
1 medium onion 1 large carrot
3 celery stalks 1 head of garlic
3 springs of fresh thyme
1.5 lt of veal stock
30g plain flour
1 large carrot
1 head of garlic
1 bottle of red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon)
2 lt of chicken stock
1. Trim the shin of beef of all silver sinew and cut into 5 cm pieces. Place in a large bowl cover with red wine and leave for 24 hours.
2. Drain the meat and place on a kitchen towel to remove any excess moisture, keeping the wine for use later on.
3. Peel and chop the vegetables into 3 cm dice cut the garlic in half
4. Season the meat and colour in a very hot pan, then place in a suitable casserole pan. Caramelize the vegetables until golden brown then add to the meat.
5. Add the
red wine to the casserole pan and reduce until it becomes a glaze
then add the flour and mix well cover with the veal and chicken
stocks add the thyme and garlic bring to the boil then place a
paper cartouche on top and cook in a oven pre-heated to 180 Degres
Centigrade for 2 ½ to 3 hours.
6. Removc from the oven, the beef should be very tender so that you can cut it just with a spoon and the sauce is rich and dark in colour. Allow to cool down before removing the beef and passing the sauce through a fine sieve.